Close Account in : It is usually seen that if someone opens a bank account, he/ she rarely closes it & the account remains opened with the bank for a very long time. Now-a-days, as majority of banks have started operating through an Online Platform, there is hardly any need to close the bank account in normal situations.
Nevertheless, there could be multiple reasons to close a bank Savings Account such as:
- Lower rate of interest
- Unsatisfactory Customer Service
- Maintenance of higher Minimum Account Balance required
- Bad Relationship with Bank Staff
- Having Multiple Bank Accounts
- Bank is not providing Online Services properly
- Higher Fees & Charges on Financial Transactions
- Lower limits for Financial Transactions
- Account holder has shifted to another city where bank branch is not located nearby his place
In order to close your Savings account, you may be interested to know how to close bank Savings Account? It seems tedious but it's very easy to get your account closed, you just need to follow a few steps for the same.
How to close Savings Account?
If you have a Savings account with bank and interested to know how to it then following are the steps will have to follow: (1) Fill up the Account Closure Form of
In order to close your bank account, the first step is to fill up an Account Closure Form. You can download it from bank's website or alternatively, you can visit your home branch, get the account closure form and fill it up properly. After that you need to sign it and submit it to the branch manager/ officer-in-charge. Please note that if there is/ are any joint holder/s in your account, all need to sign the account closure form. (2) Attach your KYC (Know Your Customer) Documents
All the holders of the account need to attach a copy of KYC documents i.e. a copy of PAN, which also serves as your proof of identity and a proof of address to the account closure form. The account holders may also be asked to self attest these documents. (3) Surrender Balance Cheque Leaves, Debit Card and Passbook to your Bank Branch
You need to surrender your Balance Cheque Leaves, if any, Debit Card and the Passbook. Your account closure application is taken for processing only after you have surrendered all these items. (4) Processing of your request of Closing Savings Account
The banker verifies the documents submitted by you and if he/ she finds all the things are correct then you are asked to withdraw the balance amount in your account and process your account closure request.(5) Withdraw the Balance Amount from your Savings Account
When asked, you may either take cash withdrawal or the bank issues a cheque/ DD in your favour or the amount can be transferred to another account so that your account can be closed.
If you follow above steps, you would be able to close your bank account in a hassle free manner. Banks generally send an email or SMS on your registered email id and mobile after your account is closed.
Important Points regarding Closing of Savings Account
- For closing your account, you need to visit that branch of the bank where you had opened the account.
- One should close the account only if he really doesn't need it in future as banks generally don't allow to re-open a closed account.
- One must save a soft copy or take a printout of full bank statement since inception till closing for the purpose of any future reference.
- Cancel your automated payment instructions.
- One must clear all his/ her pending dues or charges before closing the account.
Close Saving Account in other Banks