Whenever a new vehicle is registered with the RTO, a permanent RTO registration number is allotted. Being a permanent in nature, this number cannot be changed under any situation, even if you sell the vehicle to someone.
A person needs to apply for vehicle registration to the registering authority (RTO) within a period of 7 days from the date of taking delivery of the vehicle, excluding the period of journey. A personal vehicle is registered for a period of 15 years. After that, one is required to renew the registration certificate for a period of 5 years at a time by paying necessary fee and tax.
As per the provision of section 39 of motor vehicle Act 1988, any vehicle is allowed to be driven in public place only after registration by registering authority.
How to Get Permanent Registration?
A step-by-step process to get permanent registration has been given below:
- Submit an application in Form 20 to the Registering Authority in whose jurisdiction the vehicle is
- Pay the fee as specified in Rule 81 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 depending on the choice of registration number and use of HSRP/smart card
- Pay Tax as per Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 depending on the choice of registration number and use of HSRP/smart card
- Submit the receipt of payment of fee and tax with Form 20
- Attach all the required documents (as mentioned below) with Form 20
In case, the vehicle has temporary registration, apply for permanent registration before the temporary registration expires Confirm whether the registration involves hypothecation.
Documents Required for Permanent Registration
- Sales certificate in Form 21
- Road worthiness certificate in Form 22
- Passport size photographs of the owner
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Chassis & Engine Pencil Print
- Valid insurance certificate
- Pollution under control certificate (PUC)
- Proof of address (Ration card, Electricity bill etc.)
- Copy of PAN card of Form 60 and Form 61 (as applicable)
- Design approval copy of STA in case Trailer or Semi-Trailer
- Temporary registration, if any
- Dealer and manufacturer invoice, if required
- Permit proceedings in case of transport vehicle, if required
- Municipal Corporation parking fee, if required