International Driving Licence is an official document which gives an Indian permission to rent or drive vehicles when he is visiting foreign country. It is authorized by United Nations giving the tourists the freedom to drive a motor vehicles in the foreign country. It is issued in many languages for the transport authorities abroad to verify and understand your driving credentials. It is accepted in over 150 countries. You don't have to give a driving test for obtaining an International driving licence.
Even foreign nationals visiting India are also advised to get this licence so that they can drive or rent vehicles in India during their stay here.
The IDL is not valid for driving in the country or jurisdiction where it was issued, it can only be used in foreign countries, and it must be shown with the carrier's original driver's licence.
Validity of International Driving Licence
An international driving licence is valid for 1 year from the date of issue.
Fees for International Driving Licence (IDL)
You will have to pay a fee of Rs 1000 as a fee for obtaining an international driving licence.
Advantages of International Driving Licence (IDL)
- It legally certifies that any person holding it can drive in a foreign country.
- It is accepted in over 150 countries
- Can be used as one of the identity proofs in many countries.
- It is a proof that a person holding it has a valid driving licence in the country in which it was issues.
- Multiple languages printed including English, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Portuguese, Scandinavian languages and others on International Driving Licence. It makes it very useful for other country's concerned authorities to verify the IDL holder's credentials/ information.
- It can help Indians rent a car and drive in foreign country.
- Insurance companies abroad mandatorily require an IDL to provide insurance cover to drivers who drive vehicle there.
How to Apply for International Driving Licence?
Mentioned below is the step-by-step process to apply for International Driving Licence:
- It is necessary that you should have Indian Driving Licence as well as Passport before applying for International Driving Licence.
- You can visit the nearest RTO with the required documents (as listed below) and the application fee.
- You need to fill up the application form for Issuance of International Driving Licence which is known as the 'Form for the Issue of International Driving Permit' or Form 4.
- In this form you need to fill in your personal details such as your name, address, date of birth, educational qualification, Indian driving licence number, country you are travelling to, etc.
- After submission of application form, required documents and payment of fee, authorities will process your application and IDL will be handed over in appox. 3 to 4 days.
Documents Required for International Driving Licence
- An application for IDL in Form 4
- Medical certificate in Form 1A
- Copy of valid driver's licence
- Copy of passport and visa
- Copy of air tickets
- Medical certificate as mentioned in the application form
- Application fee of Rs. 1000
- 5 passport size colour photographs
- Certified proof of Indian citizenship
- Copy of address proof
- Copy of age proof
- Receipt for payment of fees