Vehicle Registration FAQ

Initially, the new vehicle is registered for 15 years from its purchase date. After which its renewal is required.

Registration of the vehicle is renewed for 5 years at once after the expiry of its first registration of 15 years.

For transport vehicle, the certificate of fitness is valid for 2 years and it needs to be renewed on yearly basis when its validity period gets over.

As per law, you are required keep original RC (registration certificate) with your vehicle and not the photocopy of it.

No. The registration number is an identity of any vehicle hence once allotted, it can never be changed.

Whenever you want to move your vehicle at another place/ state for more than 1 year then you are required to get your vehicle transferred to that place/ state.

You need to pay the road tax at nearest local RTO where you are getting your vehicle registered. It is to not here that in case of new vehicles, the road tax is collected at the time of vehicle registration.

Vehicle Registration is basically the recording of a motor vehicle in the official records of government authorities after due verification. It is mandatory to get your vehicle registered as per the law and is essential to prove the ownership of a vehicle. It is also required during the sale of a vehicle and transfer of its ownership.

If you are seller of any vehicle then the buyer is required to get it transferred in his name. You, as a transferor, is required to report the fact of transfer in Form 29 to the registering authorities concerned in whose jurisdiction the transferor and the transferee reside.

Yes. It is mandatory for the vehicle to be produced for inspection for recording change of address/ transfer of ownership.

An application for registration of a motor vehicle is required to be submitted to the registering authority (RTO) within a time period of 7 days from the date of taking delivery of the vehicle, excluding the period of journey.

If a vehicle registered in one state and you want to move and keep in another state, it can be done so for a period of 12 months. If you keep it for a period exceeding 12 months, you need to apply for vehicle's re-registration in the other state. Such application is required to be submitted by you (owner) within 30 days from the date of expiry of such period of 12 months.

The successor of the vehicle should inform the registering authority (RTO) about the death of the owner and that he wants to use the vehicle. He may use the vehicle for a period of 3 months, within which he should apply for transfer of the vehicle in his own name.