Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
|What is PMUY?
|Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is a scheme to safeguard the health of women & children by providing them with a clean cooking fuel : LPG
|When was PMUY launched?
|PMUY was launched by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on May 1, 2016 in Ballia, Uttar Pradesh
|How many Connection will be given under PMUY?
|Under PMUY, 5 Crore LPG connections will be given to BPL families with a support of Rs.1600 per connection in the next 3 years
|In whose name, PMUY connection will be issued?
|PMUY connections will be issued in the name of women of the households
|How much fund is allocated to PMUY?
|Rs. 8000 Crores have been allocated towards the implementation of PMUY
|How will BPL families get identified for PMUY?
|BPL families for PMUY will be identified through Socio Economic Caste Census Data
Need for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
- According to WHO estimates, about 5 lakhs deaths in India are caused alone due to using unclean and smoky cooking fuels
- Having an open fire in the kitchen is like burning 400 cigarettes an hour
- No need to spend much more time and efforts in cooking by the women unnecessarily
- Need to provide LPG connections to the rural and porr families which lack even the basic amenities of life
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
- Smoke from burning firewood, coal, dung-cakes, etc.fuels causes alarming household pollution, which will get reduced heavily
- Health of Women & children will get improved a lot as they will not have to compromise their health in smoky kitchens
- Women and children will not have to wander in unsafe areas for collecting firewood any more
- It is a sign of women's empowerment, especially in rural India, as the connections will be issued in the name of women of the households
- The scheme will result into an additional employment of around 1 lakh and provide business opportunity of at least Rs. 10,000 Crores in next 3 years
- The scheme will also be helpful to the 'Make in India' campaign as the manufacturers of cylinders, gas stoves, regulators and gas hose are domestic only
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) Working
Rs. 8000 Crores have been allocated towards the implementation of PMUY. The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) gives a monetary support of Rs. 1,600 for each LPG connection to BPL households. BPL families for PMUY will be identified through Socio Economic Caste Census Data of census of 2011.
What is Give Up LPG Subsidy?
In India, the Indian Government offers subsidy on LPG Gas Cylinders. A person can receive subsidy only on 12 cylinders of 14.2 kg each or 34 bottles of 5 kg each in a year.
In order to help a BPL family to get an LPG connection, a person can come forward and opt to give up subsidy on LPG. It is completely choice based scheme and no one will be enforced for it.
'GiveItUp' movement of LPG Subsidy was launched on March 27, 2015 by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in Delhi. Through this movement all countrymen, who can afford it, have been appealed to come forward and give-up their LPG subsidy. 'GiveItUp' is a truly pioneering & innovative program.
Role of Give Up LPG Subsidy in PMUY
Total allocation of Rs 8,000 crore to PMUY will partially be funded using the money that has been saved from 1.13 crore cooking gas users who voluntarily gave up their subsidies via "Give It Up" LPG initiative program.