Aadhaar is a 12 digit identification number issued to all the residents in India. It s one of the most important documents in India, that one must definitely have. It is issued on the basis of person's demographic and biometric data.
If you are not having Aadhaar Card then you must immediately apply for it. In case, you want to enrol for it then you need to personally visit to a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. Please note that as biometric details of the person are required for issuing Aadhaar Card, hence it cannot be applied online.
What documents are required while applying for an Aadhaar Card?
You need to submit following documents at the time of applying for an Aadhaar card:
|Proof of Identity (anyone)|
- PAN Card
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID Cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGS Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
|Proof of Address (anyone)|
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 1 year)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
|Proof of Date of Birth (anyone)|
- Birth Certificate
- SSLC Book/Certificate
- Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead
- PAN Card
- Marksheet issued by any Government Board or University
- Government Photo Id Card/Photo identity card issued by PSU containing DoB
- Central/State Pension Payment Order
|Proof of Relationship with the head of family (anyone): In case of not having Proof of Address|
- PDS Card
- MNREGA Job Card
- CGHS/ State Government/ECHS/ESIC Medical card
- Pension Card
- Army Canteen Card
Fee for Aadhaar Enrolment
Aadhaar enrolment is totally free of cost therefore you need not pay anything at the enrolment centre.
Aadhaar Card Online Appointment
Please note that the Aadhaar Card cannot be applied online as your physical presence at Aadhaar enrolment centre is mandatory. However, you can take prior appointment for Aadhaar Enrolment at select enrolment centres.
Further to note that all the enrolment centres do not provide the facility of online appointments. If your locality is not listed in the online appointment application website, you need to directly visit the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre with all the required documents to apply without prior appointment.
How to Apply for Aadhaar Card | Step by Step Process of Applying for Aadhaar Card
Mentioned below is the Step by Step Process of Applying for Aadhaar Card:
Step 1: Search for your nearby Authorised Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
You can search for your nearby Authorised Aadhaar Enrolment Centre by clicking this link: Check Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
Step 2: Visit authorised Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
The applicant has to visit the authorised Aadhaar enrolment centre nearest to his/ her location personally.
He/ she needs to visit the authorised Aadhaar Enrolment Centre personally because he/ she is required to get their biometric captured at the centre and this is the reason why Aadhaar Card cannot be applied online.
Step 3: Obtain & Fill Up the Enrolment Form
Ask for Enrolment Form from the centre and completely fill up the form. You need to mention your personal details in the form such as:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Details of family
- Bank Account details
Step 4: Attach Supporting Documents with the Enrolment Form
Attach required documents such as address, date of birth and identity proofs to the enrolment form. In case you are not having any proof of address in your own name, you can use the introducer or Head of Family in place of that.
If you use an introducer or Head of Family (HoF) to enrol into Aadhaar, a proof of relationship document is also required to be attached to the enrolment form.
Please note that you need to bring the original supporting documents for Aadhaar enrolment. These original documents will be scanned and handed back to you after the enrolment.
Step 5: Submit the Enrolment Form
Attach required documents such as address, date of birth and identity proofs to the enrolment form.
There are two types of data gets captured for Aadhaar enrolment i.e. Demographic (Name, Gender, DoB, Address, Mobile number and email id) & Biometric (10 Finger Prints, Both Iris and photograph). Mobile number and Email Id are optional.
Step 6: Get your Biometric done
After completion of above mentioned step, your biometric details will be captured by the authorised person at the enrolment offices in the official database.
During biometric capturing process, following things are done:
- Finger-Tip Scanning: All 10 fingers of the applicant are scanned for establishing the unique identity.
- Iris Scanning: Iris scanning is held after the fingertips scanning at the Aadhaar enrolment centre.
- Photograph: After both the scanning i.e. Finger-tips and Iris scanning have been done, photograph of the applicant is clicked by the web-camera at the Aadhaar enrolment centre to complete the biometric process.
Step 7: Obtain an Enrolment Number against your Application
After your biometric is captured, an acknowledgement slip will be issued to you which will contain the Aadhaar enrolment Number. This number is useful for tracking the status of your application. The other use of this number is that it can be used in place of Aadhaar Card Number till your Aadhaar Card is not received.
Usually, the Aadhaar Card is received within 60 to 90 days from the date of successfully submission of the application by post at the address mentioned on the application form. Meanwhile, you can track the status of your Aadhaar Card through the enrolment number allotted to you.
Once the Aadhaar gets generated, you receive an SMS on the registered mobile number. You can also check status of Aadhaar by clicking on "Check Aadhaar Status" or https://resident.uidai.gov.in/check-aadhaar-status.
Important Points regarding Aadhaar Enrolment
- There is no age limit defined for Aadhaar Enrolment. Even a new born baby can also get enrolled for Aadhaar.
- Aadhaar enrolment is totally free of cost therefore you need not pay anything at the enrolment centre.
- It is not mandatory to provide mobile number or email for Aadhaar enrolment. But it is always recommended to provide mobile number and email so that you get updates regarding your Aadhaar application status.
- Any correction within 96 hours of enrolment is free of cost
- If you do not have Identity proof and Address proof in your own name, you can still apply for an Aadhaar card via an introducer or the head of your family
- Applying for Aadhaar Card is not mandatory and it is completely voluntary on the part of the individual whether he wants to apply for it or not